British Government plan to phase out Carbon-fuelled central heating systems in new drive for zero emissions

From 2025 the government is planning to ban natural gas in new build homes only in an effort to reduce Carbon emissions. All other homes will still be able to install natural gas boilers for the foreseeable future.

There are no current plans or dates for gas boilers to be entirely phased out and gas boilers will still be around after 2025!

Any gas boiler that you buy now will run on natural gas for it’s lifetime.

For the heating industry, removing carbon entirely poses a significant problem, mainly due to the fact that most UK homes run on natural gas. Replacing natural gas boilers with hydrogen gas may appear to be the simplest solution to the issue. Hydrogen gas is a carbon free fuel source and could become key to winning the battle to decarbonise heating and hot water in UK homes.

A hydrogen-ready boiler is a gas-fired heating boiler which is capable of burning either natural gas or pure (100%) hydrogen.

Reduce your carbon footprint and your bills!

Changes are coming and Worcester Bosh welcomes the concept of increase of green gas within the UK gas grid.

The entire new range of highly efficient Greenstar gas boilers are able to run on a mixture of hydrogen and natural gas? This ‘blend’ sees 20% of the fuel source being hydrogen gas, with the remaining 80% being natural gas.

This means, that when the government begins to increase the amount of ‘green gases’ into the UK gas grid, you can be confident your new gas boiler will run for its lifetime without any changes. When the time comes to switch to the hydrogen mix it will only take an hour!


Future proof your home by choosing an efficient, Hydrogen-blend ready boiler.

All of Worcester’s gas boilers manufactured since 2000 can take a Hydrogen blend of up to 20%

The widespread rollout of 100% hydrogen will likely be in the 2030’s. To keep up with this change the future Worcester Bosch boilers will be 100% hydrogen ready and Worcester Bosch are currently working at the forefront net zero plans, developing renewables which will heat your home safely and efficiently. They’re pioneering the development of new technologies to ensure a smooth transition to a more sustainable future.

So in a decade or so when you have a choice to make you can still be sure to rely on Worcester!


The true situation regarding renewables - what does this mean for heating your home?

The future of home heating has been a hot topic in the news recently, with a lot of speculation about the future of gas boilers. This short video below explains the future of home heating in the UK.


Transitioning to green homes and buildings report

The Sustainable Homes and Buildings Coalition, formed by the NatWest group, is a cross-sector partnership which includes British Gas and Shelter. It’s been put in place to improve energy efficiency and lower carbon emissions from homes and buildings across the UK.

Worcester Bosch working with their partners in this group aim to guide homeowners through the confusion and help them make greener home heating choices with confidence. This in turn will help the nation move towards a more sustainable future.

There are so many debates going on at industry and policy level, but little consideration of what it means to homeowners – the people who are going to be most affected.


FAQ's

Q. Are gas boilers being banned?
A. No, Gas boilers will not be banned from 2025. It is likely however, that new build properties from 2025 will not achieve the 75% - 80% carbon reduction targets they have been given with a gas-fired boiler. Consequently, it is likely that new build properties will be heated with a renewable heating technology such as a heat pump.

Q. Can I still replace my old gas boiler and do I need to replace it before 2025?
A. Yes you can replace your existing gas-fired boiler and no, you don’t have to do this before 2025. There is talk that only gas-fired boilers that can be connected to a hydrogen gas supply can be purchased in the future, there is yet though no legislation or policy changes in place.

If it becomes the case that only hydrogen-ready boilers can be placed onto the market in the future then rest assured, Worcester Bosch will have a full range of hydrogen ready boilers available.

Q. What is the alternative to a gas boiler for my home?
A. There are a number of different alternatives options to a natural gas boiler. These include electric heat pumps, renewable technology, hybrid heating systems and potentially hydrogen-ready boilers.

Q. Should I replace my gas boiler with an electric one?
A. There are many factors to consider when considering replacing a gas boiler with an electric one. For example, you should consider the size of your home, as an electric boiler has limitation on outputs. Also, consider cost, as they can be expensive to run with gas being up to 4 times cheaper than electricity according to some sources.